Monday, June 05, 2006

This I believe

this is an audio post - click to play


I believe in having a journalist's mission. This is mine:

As a journalist, I will strive to give voice to people and perspectives not typically covered in mainstream journalism. As much as possible, I will try to do so using their words in their context.

As a journalist, writer and human, I will treat others with the respect, love, compassion and dignity I would like to be treated with. If I fail or am treated with less than this, I will apologize and admit my failing or will gently but firmly point out this poor treatment.

My personal and career mission statements are guided by these same principles: respect, love, justice, humility, kindness, compassion, generosity, consciousness and hope. I will accept nothing less from myself and therefore from my friends, co-workers, bosses and partners.

I don't believe in much, but if the values of respect, integrity, honesty and love were universalized, I think the world would be a much better place. We spend so much time debating society's laws and rules without questioning the ones we internally live by, if we do at all. I think its important to begin within before working on the external. This I believe.

No comments: